Gifts From Abroad

There are many ways that you can give tax-efficiently if you live outside of the UK. Look below to see if there is a scheme available in your country.


Please see our page on Transnational Giving Europe to see if there is a tax-efficient giving scheme available in your country. If you are donating from Germany, please also see below for advice.


Those wishing to donate tax-efficiently from the USA can do so through Americans for Oxford (AFO) which has been determined by the United States Internal Revenue Service to qualify, under Sections 501(c)(3) and 509(a) of the Internal Revenue Code, as a tax exempt public charity to which tax-deductible contributions may be made.

To donate to Oriel online through AFO:

  1. Go to their website and select ‘donate online here’
  2. Fill in the form, selecting ‘Oriel College’ from the drop down list beside ‘it is my preference that…’
  3. To specify a fund, type the fund’s name into the ‘other area’ box, or leave it blank for the gift to go to General Unrestricted.

To donate to Oriel through AFO using their postal form:

  1. Download and print the form from their website
  2. Fill in the form. In the preference section, specify Oriel where indicated to name a college
  3. To specify a fund you need to fill in the College part as usual and simply indicate the preferred fund clearly somewhere on the form.


The University of Oxford is recognised by the Canadian Revenue Agency as a prescribed institution under Section 3503 of the Canadian Income Tax Regulations. As a constituent college of the University of Oxford, Oriel is able to issue tax receipts to Canadian donors. Please make out cheques to ‘Oriel College’ and send directly to us in the Development Office. Cheques may be made in Canadian Dollars or Sterling.

Canadian donors can donate online to Oriel via the Oxford Thinking Campaign website. Please tick the box on the form to receive a Canadian tax receipt. Go to the donate tab, then select ‘A College’, then ‘Oriel’, then any of the funds to get to the appropriate form.

Hong Kong and China

Through the University of Oxford China Office (Hong Kong) Limited, a registered charitable institution under section 88 of the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Ordinance, charitable giving by individuals in Hong Kong may be claimed as a deduction on the tax return. Donors may claim up to 35% of total assessable income or profits for the tax year.

You can donate tax-efficiently from Hong Kong through the University of Oxford China Office. You can go to the China Office website and download the giving form, then either email it to, or post it to:

The University of Oxford China Office
Suite 4018 Cosco Tower, Grand Millennium Plaza
181 – 183 Queen’s Road Central
Hong Kong

(Tel: (852) 2151 3877)

There are also details of how to give by cheque or wire transfer on the site. You will receive a receipt for Hong Kong tax purposes once you have made the donation.


German residents can give through TGE, or you can use The German Friends of Oxford University without incurring any fees.

The German Friends of Oxford University is a registered charity run by Dr Jan Willisch. It is authorised to issue donation receipts to German donors, entitling you to offset charitable gifts from your taxable income in Germany. Legacies are treated in the same way as lifetime donations for the purposes of inheritance and gift tax in Germany, so you can also talk to Dr Willisch about leaving a gift in your will.

Post:      Dr Jan Willisch, lindenpartners, Friedrichstrasse 95 10117 Berlin


Tel:         +49 (0)30 755 424 00

The Rest of the World

If the country you are looking for is not listed above, that means there is at present no particular scheme to allow a donor from that country to give tax-efficiently to Oxford.

You can still donate a single gift to Oriel by sterling cheque made payable to ‘Oriel College’, by Visa/Mastercard/Maestro, or via the Oxford Thinking Campaign website (single or regular amounts).